Tuesday, March 11, 2008

upping the mileage and looking ahead to the weekend

today i ran eight miles, up from the six i did yesterday. the delayed onset muscle soreness did show up, just like old times, for this training run. last week, two days after caumsett park, doms didn't have much of an impact on my training run. no such luck this afternoon. when i got home from work my legs felt tired before i even changed into my running clothes. i hoped after the first mile i could shake it off, but no luck. finished in 1:02:17, a 7:47 pace.

after last week's daily 6 milers, today marked a transition into a series of daily 8 milers, or 6/4 doubles. when i don't have enough time to run 8 miles, or would rather have an easier workout, i like to split the days mileage into 2 runs. i'd like to up my mileage for the next two weeks, as a lead up to the h.a.t. 5ok. the 50k trail run will be my last significant effort before the umstead 100 mile endurance run the following week.

but i've gotten ahead of myself. saturday is the wurtsboro mountain 30k - one of my favorite races. in fact, wurtsboro and the brooklyn half marathon are my two favorite non-marathon and/or ultra events. the brooklyn half, since i grew up there, has the slight edge between the two. this will be my fourth straight wurtsboro 30k. here is my 2007 wurtsboro race report.

on sunday is the taconic rr's st. patrick's day 10k at fdr state park. a 2 miler precedes the 10k, and i hope that my daughter will run it. then i can tag along and pace her! afterwards, the post-race festivities usually include micro brewed beer on tap! last year it was very, very cold, and we shuffled back and forth between the keg to the open-air fireplace. here is my 2007 trrc 2m/10k race report.

No comments: