Friday, April 4, 2008

wake forest, north carolina


magic hat's jinx beer


joan


scott, george (hamming it up for the camera), amy-claire, pat and katie

we had a late night family reunion when we arrived. we were met at the airport by my sister-in-law, amy, brother-in-law, scott, and nephew, george. it was really great to see them again! they drove us over to my mother-in-law's, joan's, house in wake forest where she had dinner waiting for us. by the time we all sat down to eat, it was around 11:3o. amy had gotten some magic hat brewing company jinx beer which was treat ("an ale inspired by the doctrines of medieval chemists"). after dinner, even though it was well past midnight, katie walked home with amy and george (their house is only a couple of blocks away), while i unpacked my stuff.

that afternoon i definitely over packed - mainly as a direct consequence of the forecast for rain. i still haven't decided what, precisely, will go my second drop bag. that one has to be packed and handed in this afternoon so the race organizers can bring them all over to the second aid station. while it's not critical since pat can probably bring me something in an emergency, it's better to have whatever i need there. i probably won't finalize what goes into my main drop bag until the we leave here tomorrow morning for the drive to the start.

i did manage to get in a 6 mile run yesterday afternoon (46:07, a 7:41 pace). that gives me only 10 miles (from two running days) for the week so far. hopefully, i can get in a few miles this morning - no more than 4 or so. not sure if dropping my mileage down this low will pay any dividends (it should) - but mentally, it's a challenge keeping myself occupied and out of trouble with all this non-running time on my hands - haha.

this afternoon the plan is to head over to the race site, pick up my packet, see my friends, and listen to the pre-race briefing at 5:00 - not sure about the pasta supper. think we may opt out of the dinner. need my rest and beauty sleep :)

1 comment:

Paul said...

Good luck Frank! As I write this I can see from your site that there are only

0:16:04:46:248 until the race starts.