Saturday, April 26, 2008

sybil ludington 50k update: rr and photos to follow


in terms of excitement, getting to race headquarters - the putnam vfw hall pictured here - was a a great way to kick off the morning. emmy and i left early enough that even with a handful of wrong turns, we still made it with barely 10 minutes to spare before the start!


the finish, just in front of the statue of sybil ludington. this is a tough course, and today it got the better of me. my 5:13 was one of my slowest finishes in a non-trail 50k. emmy and i ran the entire race together, occasionally joined by other runners for a few miles. emmy was the second woman overall! my finish was good enough for third place age group award.


meredith, me, emmy, and anthony in front of the sybil statue. meredith, eddie (taking this photo) and anthony manned the aid station at mile 16.


rob and i grab a few minutes of rest before walking back to the vfw hall for post-race food and drinks (which included captain lawrence beer)!

here is my race report.

here are more of my race photos.

5 comments:

CTmarathoner said...

well, at least we didn't get lost going home. I had beer, coffee, and cake (as did you?) after the race -that and the socializing was the best part. have already forgotton the long hill at mile 23:)
am glad to volunteer at the 6-day.

DawnB said...

Congratulations Frank you and emmy are amazing, doing such distances back to back. that place look beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Frank -
You and Emmy truly inspire me and we haven't even met yet. Congratulations on an awesome finish. I look forward to shaking your hand at the relay race ... which will be like a stroll in the park for you! :)
CONGRATS!
Pam

TonyP said...

Awesome job today !

rundangerously said...

thanks emmy!

thanks dawn! any chance you'll be at the norwalk 10k?

thanks pam! can't wait for the relay!

thanks anthony! and thanks for taking those great pictures and posting that awesome slideshow!!