Wednesday, February 18, 2009

taconic road runners freezer 5 miler: race report



the freezer 5 miler is a taconic road runners club event. for me, the race itself was mainly a training run. my prime reason for the trip to fdr state park was to support the club and socialize a bit. the day itself, while cold, was perfect for running. the freezer 5 miler is the second of 2 races that make up the "freezer 5s" - the first one is a 5k.

my time goal for the 5 miler was a sub-35 minute finish. like the stratford sweetheart run the day before, i probably would have been better off skipping the race. i was having a hard time shaking off the chest cold that plagued me during the week. instead of running a few more miles after yesterdays race, i watched a movie ("frozen river") instead. i lined up for the freezer 5 miler with only 16 miles run for the week!

the course would include an almost 1 mile out and back, followed by two loops of the inside park road. there was one notable hill on the loop which we'd climb twice during the race. while i've run a few races at this park in the past, it turned out that this was my first freezer five (either 5k or 5m) race!

here are my splits:

6:24
7:20 13:44
7:03 20:47
7:46 28:33
6:19 34:52

6:58 pace

i'm pretty sure that mile 5 was short (and, correspondingly, mile 4 was long). while i picked up the pace in the last mile to squeeze in under 35 minutes, i doubt it was actually faster than my first mile ;D

during the race it was fun to see fellow trrc members out on the course cheering us on (lee, greg, and tom come to mind). before and after the race i said hi to bob (wtc) and greg (sound shore runners) and joe. but the post-race highlight was a toss-up between emmy receiving the trrc female runner of the year award or gary pouring captain lawrence beer from growlers. okay, hands down it was emmy's award - but the expresso stout was the perfect accompaniment :D

at home that afternoon, it was deja vu all over again (sorry yogi) as i skipped an afternoon run and watched the epic length "che" instead. overall, with only 21 miles, it was my lowest mileage week in recent memory! but, thankfully, that lower mileage week helped get the chest cold out of my system - and, finally, behind me!

here are my race photos.
check out emmy's race report and pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's ok to listen to your body every once in awhile. I'm just trying to figure out what the heck my body is trying to tell me these days. We don't seem to be speaking the same language. Yo no se!