Wednesday, February 25, 2009

today is ash wednesday



today is ash wednesday, the first day of lent. aside from weddings and funerals, i can generally count the number times i attend church services during a given year on one hand. ash wednesday is one. the ashes themselves just highlight a day that should be spent focused on repentance (and, for some observant christians, may include fasting to varying degrees).

this morning before coming to the office, i went to st. peter's church on barclay street and, after a short mass, received my ashes.

yesterday, katie and the kids in her confirmation class volunteered at the shrove tuesday pancake dinner (a sort of lent prequel, if you will). tonight they'll attend church service and receive ashes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you aware of the mass schedule for St. Peters?

rundangerously said...

if you call their main number,
(212)233-8355 there is a pre-recorded message with today's schedule.

A Plain Observer said...

now I feel worst bc I didn't get my ashes, went for a run instead and on top of that, totally forgot about abstinence and ate chicken for lunch. I have my priorities all messed up.