Saturday, August 26, 2017

2017 NYRR Percy Sutton 5K: Volunteering


Last year I ran the Percy Sutton 5k (an initially hilly course, with a flat finish).  This year I was a volunteer and it took care of my +1 for 2017.  I had planned to run the race because it was a team points event.  But with the Sri Chinmoy Marathon on Thursday, it volunteering at the Start/Finish seemed like a much better choice :D

The absolute highlight of the morning was watching a guy get down on his knee and propose to (his totally stunned) girlfriend at the finish!  I've been at a lot of races over the years (and have heard of proposals every now and then) - but this was the first time I witnessed such a happy moment up close and personal (I was just a few feet away when it happened)!

Now I just need two more races to wrap up my 9+1 (and one will be the NYCM).  I'll probably run #8 next month (either 5th Avenue Mile or the Bronx 10 Miler).




No comments: