Wednesday, April 8, 2009

the clash released self-titled debut album 32 years ago today!



it's hard to believe that 32 years have flown by since the clash's self-titled first album was released on april 8, 1977 (i was a sophomore in sheepshead bay high school at the time)! i was (and still am) a huge fan of the clash - and, especially, joe strummer. but, while this album has consistently been given great reviews (then and now), i hesitate to admit that it's not too high on my list of favorite clash albums.

as i mentioned in my earlier post on the "london calling" album, my first clash album was "give 'em enough rope" - which was probably my real introduction to the clash. but my all-time favorite clash album - a masterpiece in my opinion - is easily "sandinista!" well, to each his own, as the saying goes.

"the clash" was actually released in two different versions. the original, grittier, british version, was followed 2 years later, in 1979, by the american release. the newer version had some different material - mainly the inclusion of some post-1977 singles. if you're a die hard fan, stick with the undiluted original (albeit) short version.
__________________________________________

in a sad tangent, 17 years later, on april 8, 1994, kurt cobain's dead body was discovered (he had committed suicide w/a shotgun a few days earlier).

4 comments:

ChickenUnderwear said...

I remember their introduction at the Pallidum in 80.They were introduect as "The Most Important Band", they were.

http://homepage.mac.com/blackmarketclash/Bands/Clash/recordings/1980/80-03-07_NYC_Palladium/80-03-07_NYC_Palladium.html

This link gave me goose bumps.

rundangerously said...

mike,

can you believe we lived thru those times :D

ChickenUnderwear said...

Thanks for puttin "Clash City Rockers" back in my head for the day.

Pam said...

This makes me feel old ... I too remember when they hit the radio. Hard to believe it was 32 years ago!