Sunday, August 19, 2018

2018 B.U.S. Smart Ass Trail Mix Up "Adventure Run"


On the drive to Forest Park we actually had on again/off again drizzle - not an auspicious start to a race primarily on trails!  But, luckily, it had stopped when we arrived (minutes before the start)!  This race was held in Alley Pond Park last year (in December, actually), so we didn't know what to expect with the terrain/layout.  Needless to add, it turned out to be a beautiful - but challenging (as in hilly) course.  Less than a mile of it was on park roads, the balance of the 5k loop was on trails.

The course was well marked - which does little to explain how I went off course during the first loop!  Not a big deal, 5 minutes, maybe 3/10ths of a mile overall - but definitely not - to repeat myself - an auspicious start to a trail run!  The 50k was 10 loops.  That was my original plan.  But I dropped down to the 30k (6 loops) because I'm registered for the Sri Chimnoy Marathon this Thursday, at Rockland Lake.

That was a smart move because it took me roughly 3:37 to finish the 30K.  That was a solid half hour slower than my 50k split at the Alley Pond version of this race last year (I did 50k there)!  The hills and humidity took a toll. Still it was a great day - and Richie, our fearless leader, can chalk up yet another fantastic BUS event!

Here are the 30k results (as well as 50k finishes) from NY Ultrarunning!







No comments: