Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" Album released 40 years ago today!


It's hard to believe today marks the 40th anniversary of the release of "Born to Run."  While that poster isn't the (ubiquitous) album cover - it symbolizes the not just the album, but everything Springsteen of the 1970's.  The Springsteen of the 1980's and beyond is a different story, and could occupy the musings of an entirely separate post .  I had that particular poster on my bedroom wall and every dorm room that I ever occupied.

Growing up in Sheepshead Bay back then, most of the kids I hung out would easily have included Bruce in their pantheon of rock gods.  Regardless of where you branched out with your musical interests, he was pretty much the common denominator of all things "cool" or so we liked to believe. 

While I loved the song itself, my favorite Bruce tune was a tie between "Thunder Road" (also on that album) and "Spirit in the Night" (from his first album, "Greetings from Asbury Park").  Even today, after all the years, those two song most encapsulate Springsteen in my memories.

Anyway, today is a great reason to listen to some old Bruce tunes!

Happy Anniversary :D

No comments: