Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 Running Year in Review


My 10.5 mile run this morning brought the 2015 running year to a close.  My total mileage for the year was 1867.2 - well below the 2100+ miles of the prior two years, 2014 and 2013.  A decent chunk of that shortfall is attributable to the eye surgery this summer - I literally didn't run a step for 3+ weeks.  A more general reason, however, is the lower monthly mileage as the year went on.  The year kicked off with 220 miles in January, but that was the only 200 mile month of the year.  For the rest of the year my monthly mileage mostly bounced between 150 and 175 miles (a couple over and a couple under that range).

As for races, I ran 31 this year - 4 fewer than 2014's 35 races (which was then the fewest races I've run in more than a decade).  The longest distances were the 31 miles at the B.U.S. Trail Mix-up in September and the NYC Marathon in November (1 ultra and 1 marathon).  I also ran 20 miles at the B.U.S. 3 Hour Run back in January (an event notable for it's sub-zero wind chills!).  Just below 20 miles are a pair a 30ks (1 road, 1 trail). 

The Escarpment Trail Run was the highlight of the running year.  It was Escarpment #6 for me - and, once it was in the books, I earned my 100 mile shirt!  But the most interesting thing about that race was whether I'd even run it!  The 30k was less than a week after my doctor cleared me to get back to running following the surgery on the second eye!  Just getting to the start was an accomplishment.

Other race highlights - I ran my 13th NYC Marathon and my 6th NYC Half Marathon this year.  The NYC Marathon is my favorite race - and my goal is to keep running it every year (for the foreseeable future). I like the NYC Half too, but it's not something I'll run every year (and I haven't signed up for the 2016 edition).

To wrap up, even with the lower mileage - it was a good year!  In fact, any run (or race) is good in my book :D

Happy New Year everyone!  I hope your running years have been just as happy and productive... and that your 2016 running years are even better!

No comments: