Sunday, June 3, 2018

2018 NYRR Italy Run 5 Miler: Race Photos & Results


What a great morning to run in Central Park - especially given that it was 20 degrees cooler than the heat and humidity we had yesterday!  Today was the inaugural of the Italy Run (and I think it was at least the 4th country specific NYRR race that I've run: after, France, Portugal, Israel, and UAE).  And what better place to line up for this one than next to the statue of Giuseppe Mazzini on West Drive (Mazzini was a leader in the effort to reunify Italy in the mid-19th century)!  It also coincided with the Italian holiday "Festa della Repubblica" (2 June, actually) - which celebrates the birth of modern Italy (ala our own Forth of July) :D

As for the race itself, I managed a 38:33, 7:43 pace.  I was more than pleased with that result since I haven't done much speed work lately.  I was solidly under my 39:00 minute target, but well off my reach for a sub 38 finish.  I probably could have shaved a few seconds off that time but I watched in shock as a runner collapsed about a 100 feet from the finish - and began to CRAWL to the finish line!  He kept refusing all attempts at aid (from spectators, runners, and medical personal alike) in an effort to complete the 5 miles under his own power!  A remarkable sight to say the least.

Afterwards, there was a festival set up in front of the band shell - and tons of goodies!  Nutella and Lavazza coffee among the booths set up.  I included some of the goodies that I brought home in the picture of my race bib :D

Here are the official race results from NYRR.





No comments: