Saturday, April 28, 2018

2018 Sybil Ludington 50K: Race Photos & Results


This morning was the 40th running of the Sybil Ludington 50K!  In the previous 39 editions the course had consisted of one big loop - essentially honoring Sybil Ludington's ride to warn the colonists - the "British were coming!"  Sybil was the female Paul Revere.


Today was the introduction of double loop course - two 25k loops, and the inclusion of a separate 25k race!  Logistically it was an easier layout - especially with the opportunity to use a drop bag (which I did to switch into a dry shirt) at the start/finish.  Also a new addition was the relocation of the start/finish to the Veteran's Memorial Park (from the traditional VFW Hall).


As for my race, it was my 8th Sybil finish!  This race has a special place in my heart because it was my very first ultra - way back in 2006!  At 5:29:44 it was one of my slowest Sybil finishes (if not the slowest - need to check that).  But I had a blast.  To put road ultras in context - even with over 2000 feet of elevation gain - I still finished a solid 2 hours faster than the 50K I ran at the NJ Ultra Festival 2 weeks ago (tough technical trails and lots of elevation gain)!


At the finish we received a great wine glass!  But the most interesting thing I took home was the Canadian $2 coin I found on the course (around mile 13.5 or so)!  I love finding things while running - but this coin was a first (and when I picked it up mistakenly thought it was a EURO, not getting to look at it closely until I stopped to switch into a dry shirt)!


Here are the official results from Taconic Road Runners.








No comments: